Education & Training
Education & Training in Bioinformatics is one of the most important commitment of EMBnet. Indeed, EMBnet was the first European bioinformatics organisation that provided specialised courses and training in Bioinformatics.
In April 2011, EMBnet and ISCB enthusiastically embraced a formal collaboration to ensure that EMBnet training courses are incorporated within ISCB meetings whenever possible, particularly those in developing regions (ISCB and EMBnet to collaborate on bioinformatics education and training: press release, EMBnet.journal, vol 17(1), 6).
GOBLET: Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education & Training. In June 2012, as part of its AGM, EMBnet spear-headed a new international alliance with ISCB, ISB, APBioNet, ASBCB, SoIBio, NBIC, BTN, EBI and SeqAhead to establish GOBLET. Now a legal foundation, its mission is to:
- provide a global, sustainable support structure for bioinformatics trainers/trainees
- facilitate capacity development in bioinformatics in all countries
- develop standards and guidelines for bioinformatics education & training
act as a hub for fund gathering
- reach out to school teachers, to nurture future generations of bioinformaticians
- foster the international community of Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Biocuration and Computational Biology (B3CB) trainers.
- The ethos of the organisation embraces inclusivity, sharing, openness, innovation and, importantly, tolerance (transcending national, political, cultural and social boundaries).
GOBLET’s MoU was activated in July 2012; 22 members have now signed. If you’d like to get involved, contact GOBLET at www.mygoblet.org.