Education & Training
Education & Training in Bioinformatics is one of the most important commitment of EMBnet. Indeed, EMBnet was the first European bioinformatics organisation that provided specialised courses and training in Bioinformatics.
- In April 2011, EMBnet and ISCB enthusiastically embraced a formal collaboration to ensure that EMBnet training courses are incorporated within ISCB meetings whenever possible, particularly those in developing regions (ISCB and EMBnet to collaborate on bioinformatics education and training: press release, EMBnet.journal, vol 17(1), 6).
- In June 2012, as part of its AGM, EMBnet spear-headed a new international alliance with ISCB, ISB, APBioNet, ASBCB, SoIBio, NBIC, BTN, EBI and SeqAhead to establish GOBLET – The Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education & Training.
GOBLET mission is to:
- provide a global, sustainable support structure for bioinformatics trainers/trainees
- facilitate capacity development in bioinformatics in all countries
- develop standards and guidelines for bioinformatics education & training
act as a hub for fund gathering
- reach out to school teachers, to nurture future generations of bioinformaticians
- foster the international community of Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Biocuration and Computational Biology (B3CB) trainers.
- The ethos of the organisation embraces inclusivity, sharing, openness, innovation and, importantly, tolerance (transcending national, political, cultural and social boundaries).
GOBLET’s MoU was activated in July 2012; 22 members have now signed. If you’d like to get involved, contact GOBLET at www.mygoblet.org.
- On May 2017 EMBnet & GOBLET signed an agreement for the production of joint E&T branded material.
The project formally commenced on 1st August 2017.
The proposal to sponsor the creation of EMBnet & GOBLET branded educational materials was discussed during a meeting of the EMBnet’s Operational Board in Amsterdam, February 2015, and was later brought to the full EMBnet Board during the AGM in Oeiras, June 2015. This proposal consists in a donation of 25,000 euros from EMBnet to GOBLET for to hire an Education Assistant that will be responsible for the delivery of joint branded educational material that will be disseminated via the EMBnet’s website, GOBLET’s Training Portal, the eBioKit and EMBnet.journal articles.
This initiative brings advantages to both parties: to EMBnet, because it invests in one of its main missions (i.e., Education & Training in Bioinformatics), and to GOBLET, an initiative spear-headed by EMBnet, because it helps to achieve its goals. Hiring an education assistant would be valuable, specifically for developing materials that adhere to, and help to propagate, the GOBLET standards.
The project is formally operative since 1st of August 2017 and the kinds of materials that will be developed include:
- “Critical Guides” for bioinformatics (e.g., based on EMBnet’s QuickGuides);
- Train-the-High-School-Teacher materials (e.g., initially in collaboration with SIB);
- Train-the-Trainer (TtT) materials (e.g., jointly with the ELIXIR/GOBLET TtT programme);
- Workflow ‘templates’ for different levels of trainee on different topics;
- Other materials prioritised by EMBnet’s Education & Training Project Committee (E&T PC) and GOBLET’s Learning, Education and Training (LET) Committees.
- On September 18.-22.9.2017 a Joint EMBnet-CHARME Big Data Training School was held in Uppsala (SE). More at: http://astrocyte.com/COST-CHARME/COST-CHARME/Home.html)