EMBnet is a global network of diverse biological, biomedical and bioinformatics communities. One of its main missions is to promote links and cooperation amongst academic and industrial life-science researchers and bioinformaticians worldwide.
In 2013, the Statutes of EMBnet changed. EMBnet is now able to accept:
- candidatures from organisations wishing to become part of EMBnet’s institutional network of Nodes (Organisational members);
- candidatures from individuals wishing to become involved in EMBnet’s activities (Individual members).
Membership of EMBnet offers academics, postdoctoral researchers, students, teachers and industrialists access to the oldest bioinformatics network in the world. Becoming a member offers many advantages:
- it offers access to a wide range of bioinformatics professionals;
- it provides a collaborative environment in which to support new research enterprises;
- it offers access to its Committees, Special Interest Groups (SIG) and affiliates;
- it allows participation in and shaping of its training initiatives;
- it provides opportunities to influence its business, policies and action plans.
Membership benefits are summarised in the following table.
|Membership of the oldest world-wide bioinformatics network||✓||✓|
|Access to EMBnet’s SIG’s & Affiliates||✓||✓|
|Networking opportunities through mailing lists & meetings||✓||✓|
|Right to vote in EMBnet elections||✓||✓|
|Monthly copies of EMBnet.digest||✓||✓|
|Right to run for an executive position||✓|
|Right to vote on business/policy, if elected to an executive position||✓|
|Subsdised attendance at AGM if elected to an executive position||✓|
|Waived annual fee for organising an AGM||✓|
|Three free peer-reviewed publications in EMBnet.journal per annum||✓|
|Discounted peer-reviewed publications in EMBnet.journal||✓||✓|
|Opportunities to attend co-sponsored events & conferences at discounted rates||✓||✓|
|Student bursaries to attend co-sponsored events & conferences||✓|
|Opportunities to galvanise new research activities||✓||✓|
|Opportunities to seek joint funding||✓||✓|
|Possibility to become an EMBnet-sponsored teacher/trainer||✓|
|Free publicity for Node activities via the website & EMBnet.journal||✓|
|Free publicity via EMBnet’s website & EMBnet.journal||✓||✓|
|Opportunities to seek sponsorship for events||✓|